Ligaments are made of very strong connective tissue fibres. Their function is to hold a joint in its correct position particularly during movement and physical exercise. Ligaments have limited flexibility and as a consequence some or all of their fibres can tear under excessive force.
Most common causes of ligament injuries are falls and sudden twisting of joints or blows to joints that are common in sports like football, basketball and running.
Injured ligament is very painful. It usually causes localised swelling of the joint, heat and ultimately bruising. It may be too painful to weight bear through the affected joint and additionally the joint may feel quite unstable. The sooner this injury is diagnosed and treated the more quickly and completely it will heal.
A diagnosis of a ligament injury can be confirmed by a physiotherapist or a doctor (traumatologist, sports doctor) who will conduct a detailed physical examination.
Physiotherapists at RA health centre will provide professional treatment to reduce swelling and pain, to regain range of movement and strength and get you back to your everyday and sport activities as quickly as possible.
Your physiotherapist at RA health centre will initially assess the extent of your injury in order to develop a structured treatment program which may include:
- Physical therapy - ice, ultrasound, TENS in the initial stages to reduce swelling and prevent stiffness;
- Taping if needed;
- Advice about support or strapping to protect the muscles and joints while your injury is healing;
- Light massage to relieve pain and tension in the muscles and joint;
- Stretching(passive or active) to lengthen tight muscles
- Joint mobilisation to regain full range of movement;
- Muscle strengthening and balance training to renew coordination and active stability in the joint and whole extremity;
- Recomendations on further injury prevention
Physiotherapy treatment at RA health centre will ensure you achieve your maximum potential and reduce the risk of injury reoccurrence.
Get up! Get here! Get better!
Trust your physiotherapist! Call today to make an appointment: Phone: +371 67675700, mob.phone: +371 29430050!